Installation Artist : Alicia Martin / Art : Streaming Books



The "out of this world" installation art that I have chosen for my assignment is from Alicia Martin. She is best known for her "Streaming books" installations.





I tried to search for an extensive bio of hers but have yet to obtain anything except that she was born in 1964, works & lives in Madrid, Spain.

She creates amazing installation artwork by using thousands of old books in which she transformed into massive waterfalls which pours out of windows to the street.
Her most recent work is the Papier Biennale (2012 ) which is shown in the images above.

Reflective Questions :

1. What attracted you to this piece of interactive art in the first place?
A: I was attracted to this piece of art due to the insane amount of books that was strung together and how is it possible to with-hold all that weight. After researching, i discovered that to support the heavy weights of the books, a special metal framework was installed in each sculpture, making it safe and sturdy, however, the pages were left loose and free to rustle in the wind.

2. How did you feel when you first saw this interactive art?
A: I was 'wow-ed' by it. It was really pretty and unexpected. Even though i do feel sad that those
     books could contribute a lot to those in need, yet I guess it wasn't totally all in vain since it is
     art after all.
3. What element/s made this interactive art successful in engaging you?
A: I like the fact that it was done outdoors and is made available for everyone to view. Usually installation arts that I read about are mostly done indoors, so this is a first to me. I wished that something like that were to be made available here in Malaysia but unfortunately we know that that would be difficult.

4. What was the 'wow' factor for you?
A: The 'wow' factor for me was the image of  a massive book spillage which was of course impossible to be found in real life, but it was quite magnificent if it were to exist. It made me think of the possibilities of how it was executed and somehow motivated and inspired to produce something as astounding and captivating as Alicia Martin's work.
5. If there is one thing that you want to add to this interactive artwork, what would it be?
A: Children. I would put sculptures of small childrens sliding off the books/reading it/etc as i feel that in this modern world, we tend to forget that reading a good ol' book is more satisfying than reading an e-book which is a priceless experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment